Thursday, March 26, 2009

Starting to count down to departure

Just a busy weekend to navigate - numerous chores and appointments on Friday, and a birthday party in London on Saturday - then we will close the door on our home, and join the restless travelling world. Once I have a boarding card, I always feel rather like a labelled parcel with no will of my own as I follow one instruction after another - "Go to Gate N", "Fasten your seatbelt", "Enjoy your flight" etc. It is curiously relaxing actually. I am hoping I've not lost my handy knack of being able to drop off to sleep at the beginning of a long haul flight, and then to remain in a reasonably happy coma for as many hours as it takes.

I set up a Keepsafe arrangement for our snail mail with the Post office. This charged service ensures that the Post office holds onto your mail for the weeks you are away, and then delivers it all in one fell swoop the day after you get home. It was extraordinarily easy to set up over the phone, with an empathetic, efficient human being on the other end of the line. Alternatively, you can do it online but then you need to allow at least 5 working days before you want the arrangement to kick in. Hats off to the Post Office.

On the issue of mail, I noticed a big surge of spam today in my email in tray the like of which I have not seen before. Just my luck to hit a spam spike when I may not be able to access email regularly to clean things up. Did a big delete and tidy up anyway, and maybe it will calm down tomorrow.

One horrible task awaits me before departure: sorting out a space in the garage to park the car. There are two old single beds there which I was loathe to throw away: now I wish I had. I tried the furniture recycling people but they need modern bedding with fire retardant labels on them, and I don't think we have those. The beds are OK though - it seems a pity that I may have to strap them to my trailer and take them to the nearest waste reception centre.

No comments: